Lots of open hills and sunshine makes Briones Regional Park worth checking out in the springtime. I’ve heard tell of massive California poppy blooms here in years past.
I’ve driven around Briones once but haven’t gotten around to hiking it just yet. Here’s a map of all the parking areas near major trail heads.
View Briones Regional Park in a larger map
At Bear Creek on the west end, you’ll start out at the bottom and hike up. The trailheads on the northeast side start out high on a ridge, if I recall.
Here’s a Flickr slide show from Briones:
More Briones links:
- Bay Area Hiker goes to Bear Creek Staging Area.
- East Bay Regional Park District page.
- Reviews on Yelp.
- KQED’s Quest explores Briones.
- Springtime hike at Everytrail.com
- John Soares’ February hike of the month.