My Wilder Ranch column will appear (if there are no publishing glitches) in the Mercury News on June 5, and the one after that will be June 15 — at which time I’ll be obligated to start writing about places where hiking in the heat is less of an issue. Usually that means coastline and redwoods.
What I need:
- Must be a park (rather than, say, a regional trail) because, for now at least, the columns are written as reviews of individual parks.
- Must have enough trail choices to have “easy, moderate and hard” hike suggestions.
- Must be reasonable driving distance from San Jose (less than an hour, basically — I know this rules out a lot of the North and East Bay but I’ve gotta think about who signs the checks).
- Can’t be a place I’ve already reviewed.
These are the places I covered last summer:
- Angel Island State Park
- Big Basin Redwoods State Park
- Butano State Park
- Castle Rock State Park
- Portola Redwoods State Park
- Purisima Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve
- Sanborn-Skyline County Park
- Wunderlich County Park
So, let me have ’em. This’ll be a challenge because I’ve covered all my favorite parks in the past year. But there’s always time to find new ones.